Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) offer a quick and convenient way for credit union members to withdraw cash and make simple transactions. By taking a few preventive measures while you are using an ATM, you can ensure your safety.
- Treat your card like cash, and always keep it in a safe place. Store your card in a card sleeve to protect the card’s magnetic stripe and to ensure the card functions properly.
- Keep your personal identification number (PIN) a secret. Your card only works with your PIN. Memorize your PIN and never write it on your card or store it with the card. Never tell your PIN to anyone or let anyone else enter your PIN for you. This includes friends and family members.
- Take your ATM receipt with you. Do not leave your receipt at the ATM terminal. Always take your receipt and look to see if the transaction had ended. Do not leave the ATM until you have completed your transaction.
- Do not give out any information about your card over the telephone. No one needs to know your PIN. Smart Financial will NEVER ask for your PIN number.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately. Withdrawals from an ATM require your PIN, but Point of Sale (POS) transactions do not. Always report a lost or stolen card immediately.
- Check your receipts against your monthly statement to guard against ATM fraud. You receive a receipt each time you make an ATM transaction.
Security at Walk-Up and Drive- Thru ATM
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look to see if there are any suspicious cars or people in the area. If so, leave at once.
- If the lighting at the ATM and surrounding area is not good, do not use that ATM. Please contact Smart Financial if the lighting is not adequate.
- While waiting in line for the drive-thru ATM, keep your engine running, please doors locked, windows up and leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit if necessary.
- At walk-up ATMs, park as closely as possible to the terminal
- When possible, take a companion along when using an ATM, especially at night.