Hurricane season is here – prepare yourself and be ready! Hurricane season begins June 1st and runs through November 30, with the peak of hurricane season between mid-August and late October.
Know the Difference
Hurricane Warning: conditions are expected within 36 hours
Hurricane Watch: conditions are possible within the next 48 hours
1. Gather Information
- Assess your risks and home’s vulnerability
- Create a list of contact information
- Sign-up for emergency alerts
- Create an emergency plan
- Build an emergency supply kit (Emergency communication, medical needs, important documents, tools and safety items, food and supplies, hygiene and sanitation, protective gear and clothing, comfort and priceless items)
- Protect your home against potential wind and water damage (Reinforce your home, and clean gutters and drains, trim trees, secure items and doors)
- Prepare financially and check your insurance
SmartTip: DON’T FORGET TO PLAN AND BUILD A KIT FOR PETS AND ANIMALS!
- Follow instructions issued by officials
- Allow for enough time to evacuate if you need to leave your home
- If not ordered to leave, consider your protection options
- Stay alert for Tornadoes and the “Eye” of the storm
- Wait until the area is declared safe before returning
- Stay safe and healthy
- Recovery is gradual
For more information on Hurricane Preparedness visit the National Hurricane Center website!