Debit Card Services
Convenient Cardholder Services that help you protect your account and do more
Protecting your Debit Card
Protecting your MasterCard® Debit Card from fraud requires 24/7/365 days a year of monitoring. Our fraud detection programs monitor your card transactions for any suspicious activity. If fraudulent transactions occur, we have the capability to contact you immediately and prevent future fraudulent transactions.
What we monitor
Your card transactions are monitored for purchases outside your normal purchasing patterns, unusual timeframes and geographical locations; or, purchase patterns that are consistent with previously identified fraud trends.
How we contact you
Getting in touch with you quickly is critical to stopping any potential card fraud. 86% of Americans have a mobile device and this offers a convenient and free* method to contact you fast. With our Card Alert Notification service, you will receive a text message asking you to confirm if a suspicious transaction was authorized by you.
Receiving a text Message
- The text message will arrive with a 5 digit code (33748) and contain our financial institution name, dollar amount of the transaction and merchant name.
- You will be asked to reply with “Yes” if you authorized the transaction. You will receive a confirmation text message and can continue to use your card with confidence.
- A “No” reply means you have not authorized the transaction. You will receive a confirmation text message and you will be contacted immediately by a fraud specialist to protect your account. Please answer this important call.
- Do not reply to the text message with any personal or confidential card information.
- If you would like to opt out of receiving these text messages, you may reply with STOP to indicate this preference.
Receiving an AVR message (phone message)
Some members may not have a phone with SMS/text capabilities. Those members will receive an Automated Voice Response (phone message) instead. Below is an example of a phone message a cardholder might receive:
- “This is the fraud prevention department at Smart Financial Credit Union calling for John Doe or Jane Doe. We need to verify some recent activity on your MasterCard® debit card ending in 1234. In order to prevent possible difficulties using your card, it is important that you call us back at your earliest convenience, toll free at 1-800-442-4757 to verify this activity.
You may call us back 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at: 1-800-442-4757.
Help us protect you
- Keep us up to date with your current mobile and home phone numbers and contact information
- Are you traveling within the U.S. or to a foreign country for an extended period of time? Contact us prior to your departure and we can create a travel exclusion based upon the duration of your travels.
* Text messages to your mobile device are free, but all other fees on calls and texts are subject to the terms of your voice/data plan with your mobile carrier.
To learn more about debit cards alerts please visit Debit Card Alerts FAQs
Smart Traveler Program
In conjunction with new fraud prevention strategies, Smart Financial Credit Union offers the Smart Traveler Program designed specifically for members who travel internationally, outside of their current state of residence and Texas more than twice a month. Smart Financial Credit Union members can opt-in to the Smart Traveler program and continue to enjoy the current ease and convenience of their debit cards. The Smart Traveler Program is offered at no charge and members can opt-out at any time.
Requirements (New Members):
- Member becomes eligible after establishing 90 days of checking history
- No Check Checking members are not eligible to participate
- Debit cards held by minors are not eligible to participate
- Evidence of frequent travel
Requirements (Existing Members):
Proof of travel:
- Hotel charges
- Airline charges
- Fuel charges
- College students must prove out of state enrollment and address
- Evidence of frequent travel with our SFCU debit card required
Smart Financial account(s) must be in good standing:
- Must not have any wage garnishments
- Must not be in a fraud status
- Must not be overdrawn
- No History of Excessive Fraud Claims/Disputes
- Previous fraud claims / disputes must not exceed 3 in the past 12 months
Do you wish to enroll in the Smart Traveler Program?
YES, I travel more than twice a month. I would like to enroll.Enroll Now
NO, but I have an upcoming trip and would like to exclude dates. Click here to complete notification form.
Please allow 48 hours for application processing. Certain conditions apply
Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) offer a quick and convenient way for credit union members to withdraw cash and make simple transactions. By taking a few preventive measures while you are using an ATM, you can ensure your safety.
ATM Card Security
- Treat your ATM card like cash, and always keep it in a safe place. Store your card in a card sleeve to protect the card’s magnetic stripe and to ensure the card functions properly.
- Keep your personal identification number (PIN) a secret. Your ATM card only works with your PIN. Memorize your PIN and never write it on your card or store it with the card. Never tell your PIN to anyone or let anyone else enter your PIN for you. This includes friends and family members.
- Take your ATM receipt with you. Do not leave your receipt at the ATM terminal. Always take your receipt and look to see if the transaction had ended. Do not leave the ATM until you have completed your transaction.
- Do not give out any information about your ATM card over the telephone. No one needs to know your PIN. Smart Financial will NEVER ask for your PIN number.
- Report a lost or stolen card immediately. Withdrawals from an ATM require your PIN, but Point of Sale (POS) transactions do not. Always report a lost or stolen card immediately.
- Check your receipts against your monthly statement to guard against ATM fraud. You receive a receipt each time you make an ATM transaction.
security at Walk-Up and Drive- Thru Atm
- Be aware of your surroundings. Look to see if there are any suspicious cars or people in the area. If so, leave at once.
- If the lighting at the ATM and surrounding are is not good, do not use that ATM. Please contact Smart Financial Credit Union if the lighting is not adequate.
- While waiting in line for the drive-thru ATM, keep your engine running, please doors locked, windows up and leave enough room between cars to allow for a quick exit if necessary.
- At walk-up ATMs, park as closely as possible to the terminal
- When possible, take a companion along when using an ATM, especially at night.
Ask Smart Financial
Give us a call
Or toll-free at: